All Set To Be Flying Happily In The Breeze……Some Kite Bunting
I received some lovely summer ice lolly fabric from The Craft Cotton Company and wanted to make some summery bunting using it, I didn’t want to just do triangular bunting with this so decided to go a bit different and make some kite shaped bunting – perfect for flying happily in the breeze this summer.
Also… check out my bird shaped bunting sewing tutorial and ice cream shaped bunting sewing tutorial.
Fabric gifted by The Craft Cotton Company.
Sewing Tutorial: Kite Shaped Bunting
- Ice lolly fabric by The Craft Cotton Company.
- Ribbon – 1.40m.
How To Sew the Kite shaped bunting
- Draw out two kite templates. These can be as big or as small as you want the kites to be.
- Cut one of the kite templates into 4 sections and cut along the lines. This makes the front of the kite. The remaining whole template makes the back.
- Cut out the fabric pieces leaving a 0.5cm seam allowance. To make 10 bunting kites you will need 10 back pieces and 10 of each of the front pieces.
- Sew together the front pieces, start by taking the top 2 and place right sides together and sew down the side edge to join. Repeat with the bottom 2 pieces. Next join the top and bottom pieces together.
- Cut 10 14cm long pieces from the ribbon.
- Take a kite back piece and place right side facing up, place a piece of the ribbon on top with its bottom raw edge against the bottom of the back piece. Place a kite front on top. Sew around leaving a gap for turning.
- Turn out the right way and sew the gap closed.
- Cut 20 1.5x8cm strips of fabric and tie 2 to each of the kite ribbon tails.
To make the binding:
A sewing fabric binding ‘how to’ can be found here.
- Cut 5cm wide strips from the different fabrics.
- Sew together until you have a strip 3m long.
- Fold in the top and bottom edges so they meet in the middle and press.
- Fold in the side edge by 0.5cm and press.
- Fold in half so the top edge meets the bottom edge and press.
- Sew along the bottom edge of the strip to secure.
Kite Shaped Bunting Assembly
- Using a slip stitch attach the kites to the fabric strip.
The tutorial is also available over The Craft Cotton Company blog: