Slowly making progress on the Christmas makes – next up a Embroidered flower embroidery hoop.

Now I have got my sewing Christmas makes (Trees, Stockings) out of the way I have been able to focus on finishing some of the embroidery makes I have been working on over the last few months. First one completed is a embroidered flowers embroidery hoop.  The pattern is one I put together using a pattern from Crossstitcher magazine (April 2018).  The original pattern was too big to fit in the hoop I was using so I used bits from the pattern to fill the hoop.

IMG_3699IMG_3704IMG_3711IMG_3712

I covered the hoop with fabric by sewing strips of 4cm wide fabric together and folding the raw edges inwards, I then wrapped this around the hoop.  I created a loop using 2 strips of 20x4cm wide fabric (place pieces right sides together, sew around leaving top edge unsewn, turn out the right way and slip stitch the gap closed).

A Year in stitches weeks 18-23

I’ve just about kept up over the last few weeks – its been close but somehow I have managed it!

Its really starting to fill up now – i’m hoping that my choice of using a smaller hoop doesn’t end up causing me problems of not having enough space!

Week 18: Thistles completed and two dahlias added.

IMG_3879.jpg

Week 19: Pine needles and winter pansies started.

IMG_3946

Week 20:  Winter pansies completed.

IMG_4010

Week 21:  Heather and red berries added.

 

IMG_4011

Week 22: Asters added.

IMG_4019

Weeks 23: Pumpkins and season names added.

IMG_4089

A year in stitches weeks 9-12

I’ve quite surprised myself so far with this year in stitches project, I thought I would have been way behind by now but I’ve actually managed to keep up with it – only just I must add, and we will see how long this lasts!

It’s great to watch the space filling in with all these different additions, and it’s been a great way to try out some new stitches some I look forward to trying again, others I will be avoiding at all costs!

Week 9 saw the completion of the ladybird and bee (finally managed to get some black thread) and a little nest was started.

Week 10 began with finishing the nest and adding some eggs and the start of some daffodils.

Week 11 was meant to see the completion of the daffodils but I got sidetracked with doing some other flowers!

Week 12 the daffodils finally got finished and I started on some tulips alongside them.

Still got quite a few flower ideas to go so am looking forward to the next few weeks!

A year in stitches week 7 to 8!

Following on from week 6 in week 7 I added in some snowdrops and a little more snowflake detail. After seeing all the snowdrops starting to come out I just had to add some in!

Week 8 has seen the addition of some crocus flowers and the start of a bee and ladybird – realised after starting them I had run out of black thread (typical!) so they will have to wait to be finished for now!

Week 6 of a year in stitches

Week 6 of a year in stitches has seen the addition of a few more little details including a pine cone, acorn and a bit more leaf detail. I’ve also added in a little bit more detail to the rain.

Think I might try and focus a big on the wintery section over the next week.

Year of stitches – week 4

How can it be week 4 already, it doesn’t seem two minutes ago I was starting my first stitch!

This week I’ve followed the weather and have added some snowflakes and some wind blown leaves, I think I will be sewing a lot more raindrops if I follow the weather again this week!

Year of stitches week 3!

It’s that time of the week again for an update on how my year in stitches is going. The weeks seem to be flying by as it doesn’t seem two minutes since I uploaded last weeks!

Over the last week I have been working on some more flowers in the summer section and have started to move onto the next section with some autumn rain drops. There’s been a bit of snow around these last few days which has given me an idea of what I will be doing over the next week!

Week two of a year of stitches

I’ve decided to do a weekly update of my year in stitches as I don’t think I could keep up with a daily one – hopefully I manage to keep up with this, it may become a monthly update as the year goes on!

This week I have added another 7 stitch details to my hoop, including some dragonflies and infilled the flower petals. The stitch for the dragonflies proved a little bit trickier than I thought but I managed to get there after a few attempts. I have a feeling this hoop is going to become seasonal – despite no planning I have already got summer underway and have plans for a winter section too!

Im really happy with how the hoop is coming along so far and am looking forward to seeing it grow over the coming weeks.

Buzzing in to brighten up the dark cold days is an embroidered bee hoop

I’ve really enjoyed making the fox and owl embroidery hoops recently and after receiving one of The Craft Cotton Company sewing bee fat quarter sets (white) I knew it would be perfect for making another.

I opted to use the grey fat quarter as I thought it would provide the best background and drew up a design to embroider. The full tutorial is available on The Craft Cotton Company’s blog:

https://www.craftcottonblog.co.uk