Following on from my previous Bird Shaped Bunting and Kite Shaped Bunting I have gone for another themed bunting make and opted for an ice cream shaped bunting!.
Cant get much more summery than a load of ice creams!.
Fabric gifted by The Craft Cotton Company.
Sewing Tutorial: Ice Cream Shaped Bunting
- Girls Day Out fat quarter set by The Craft Cotton Company.
How To Sew the Ice Cream shaped bunting
Making The Templates
- Make the template for the scoops of ice cream by drawing and cutting out a circle with a 10cm diameter. Make the template for the cone by drawing and cutting out a a triangle with a 9cm base and 14cm sides.
- Using the templates cut out triangles for the cones (you will need two triangles per cone) and circles for the scoops of ice cream (each cone has three scoops so you will need 3 circles per cone).
Scoops of Ice Cream
- Using the templates cut out 2 triangles to make a cone and 3 circles for the 3 scoops of ice cream. Repeat until you have enough pieces to make the number of cones you want.
- To make the scoops of ice cream, take a circle and fold in the edge by 0.25cm, sew around with a tacking stitch to secure, pull the thread tight and sew a stitch to secure. For more instructions on this a ‘how to’ make a fabric yo yo guide can be found here. Repeat with the remaining circles.
Ice Cream Cones
- To make the cones; take 2 cone pieces and fold the top edges over by 0.5cm and next placing them right sides together and sewing down the two sides to secure. Turn out the right way. Slip stitch the top edge closed.
- Take three of the scoops of ice cream and layout on top of the cone, pin to secure and then sew in place. Repeat with the remaining ice cream cones.
To make the binding:
A sewing fabric binding ‘how to’ can be found here.
- Cut 5cm wide strips from the different fabrics.
- Sew together until you have a strip 3m long.
- Fold in the top and bottom edges so they meet in the middle and press.
- Fold in the side edge by 0.5cm and press.
- Fold in half so the top edge meets the bottom edge and press.
- Sew along the bottom edge of the strip to secure.
Ice Cream Shaped Bunting Assembly
- Take the ice cream cones and sew onto the binding.
The tutorial is also available over The Craft Cotton Company blog: