Keeping the summertime feeling going with some summery bird bunting
I received some gorgeous fabric from The Craft Cotton Company which was perfect for making some summery bunting. Instead of doing triangles I made a bird shaped design with some felt and button details – I love being able to mix in different fabrics and accessories on a make.
Fabric gifted by The Craft Cotton Company.
Sewing Tutorial: Fabric Bird Shaped Bunting
- Fat quarter set.
- Orange felt.
- Brown felt.
Bird Shaped Bunting
- Draw out templates to make your bird, will need a template for:
- A bird body piece.
- A wing piece.
- A beak piece.
- A foot piece.
- Cut out your fabrics using the templates:
Using fabric and a 0.5cm seam allowance cut out:
- 2 body pieces for each bird (material).
- 2 wing pieces for each bird (material).
Using felt cut out:
- 2 feet for each bird (brown felt).
- 1 beak for each bird (orange felt).
- Take the two body pieces and place one down right side up. Put the beak and two feet onto the body piece with their raw edges against the raw edges of the fabric. Put the other body piece right side down on top. Sew around the edges to secure leaving a 6cm gap for turning. Turn out the right way and slip stitch the gap closed.
- Take the two wing pieces and place right sides together, sew around the edge leaving a 3cm gap for turning. Turn out the right way and slip stitch the gap closed.
- Sew the wing onto the body using a slipstitch, sew only around the curved front edge of the wing leaving the rest unsewn.
- Sew a button onto the body for an eye.
To make the binding:
- Cut 5cm wide strips from the different fabrics.
- Sew together until you have a strip 3m long.
- Fold in the top and bottom edges so they meet in the middle and press.
- Fold in the side edge by 0.5cm and press.
- Fold in half so the top edge meets the bottom edge and press.
- Sew along the bottom edge of the strip to secure.
Bird Shaped Bunting Assembly
- Sew the birds onto the binding strip, by sewing the top edge to the binding.
The tutorial to make these is also available over on The Craft Cotton Company blog: