Year of stitches 2019 – at the starting blocks and ready for another year!

After last years year of stitches make I decided to undertake another this year. This one however is slightly different to last years and instead of little pictures I’m trying out all different stitches for each of the days, I’ve been wanting to try out lots of new stitches for a while now and this is the perfect way to do it.

I’ve opted for a dark blue background, I’m sure it will drive me crazy when the lighting isn’t great but I wanted something that would make the stitches really stand out!

Here is the first 7 days – am hoping I can keep up as time already seems to be going by quickly.

Year of stitches 2018 – completed

It doesn’t seem two minutes ago I was starting my first year of stitches yet a whole year has gone by and my 2018 year of stitches has come to an end. I’m hoping this next year doesn’t go by as quickly as I don’t think I could keep up!

Here’s my finished year of stitches project:

It’s already up on my wall and it brings back a lot of memories when I look at it.

I have really enjoyed the stitching over the last year and I have already started one for this year!

Slowly making progress on the Christmas makes – next up a Embroidered flower embroidery hoop.

Now I have got my sewing Christmas makes (Trees, Stockings) out of the way I have been able to focus on finishing some of the embroidery makes I have been working on over the last few months. First one completed is a embroidered flowers embroidery hoop.  The pattern is one I put together using a pattern from Crossstitcher magazine (April 2018).  The original pattern was too big to fit in the hoop I was using so I used bits from the pattern to fill the hoop.

IMG_3699IMG_3704IMG_3711IMG_3712

I covered the hoop with fabric by sewing strips of 4cm wide fabric together and folding the raw edges inwards, I then wrapped this around the hoop.  I created a loop using 2 strips of 20x4cm wide fabric (place pieces right sides together, sew around leaving top edge unsewn, turn out the right way and slip stitch the gap closed).

A Year in stitches weeks 18-23

I’ve just about kept up over the last few weeks – its been close but somehow I have managed it!

Its really starting to fill up now – i’m hoping that my choice of using a smaller hoop doesn’t end up causing me problems of not having enough space!

Week 18: Thistles completed and two dahlias added.

IMG_3879.jpg

Week 19: Pine needles and winter pansies started.

IMG_3946

Week 20:  Winter pansies completed.

IMG_4010

Week 21:  Heather and red berries added.

 

IMG_4011

Week 22: Asters added.

IMG_4019

Weeks 23: Pumpkins and season names added.

IMG_4089

A year in stitches weeks 13-17

How can we be in May already, it doesn’t seem two minutes since it was the start of January and I was just getting started on this year in stitches journey.

Here’s a little update on what’s been going on over the last 5 weeks (weeks 13-17).

Week 13: saw the completion of the tulips and the addition of a branch ready for some other flowers to be added.

IMG_3416

Week 14: the identity of the branch detail added in week 13 was revealed as a bleeding heart plant with the addition of the leaves and flower detail.

IMG_3417

Week 15: fluttering in were some purple butterflies.

IMG_3632.jpg

Week 16: leaf stitch leaves were added and some flowers using a petal stitch.

Week 17: some more autumn leaves and snowflakes were sewn on, along with some grass detail and the start of some thistles.

Am loving how this is all coming together, can’t wait to see it continue to grow over the next few weeks.

A year in stitches weeks 9-12

I’ve quite surprised myself so far with this year in stitches project, I thought I would have been way behind by now but I’ve actually managed to keep up with it – only just I must add, and we will see how long this lasts!

It’s great to watch the space filling in with all these different additions, and it’s been a great way to try out some new stitches some I look forward to trying again, others I will be avoiding at all costs!

Week 9 saw the completion of the ladybird and bee (finally managed to get some black thread) and a little nest was started.

Week 10 began with finishing the nest and adding some eggs and the start of some daffodils.

Week 11 was meant to see the completion of the daffodils but I got sidetracked with doing some other flowers!

Week 12 the daffodils finally got finished and I started on some tulips alongside them.

Still got quite a few flower ideas to go so am looking forward to the next few weeks!

A year in stitches week 7 to 8!

Following on from week 6 in week 7 I added in some snowdrops and a little more snowflake detail. After seeing all the snowdrops starting to come out I just had to add some in!

Week 8 has seen the addition of some crocus flowers and the start of a bee and ladybird – realised after starting them I had run out of black thread (typical!) so they will have to wait to be finished for now!

Week 6 of a year in stitches

Week 6 of a year in stitches has seen the addition of a few more little details including a pine cone, acorn and a bit more leaf detail. I’ve also added in a little bit more detail to the rain.

Think I might try and focus a big on the wintery section over the next week.

Week 5 of a year of stitches

Week 5 already!

It’s been rainy and windy this week so I’ve added in some more rain and some wind, snow is meant to be on its way so think more snow will be appearing by next week!