This was made alongside my woven fabric strips cushion cover using the same English Garden fabric by The Craft Cotton Company.
Fabric was gifted by The Craft Cotton Company.
I really wanted to add something to the reversible bag when I had got it finished so decided to add a bow to the handles, I really like how it adds a little bit of detail.
This tutorial is also available on The Craft Cotton Company blog.
How To Sew A Reversible Tote Bag:
- Fat Quarter Set. This uses English Garden by The Craft Cotton Company.
Sewing the reversible tote bag:
- To make the outside front and back piece of the bag take one of the fat quarters and cut two pieces 27x36cm.
- Repeat with another fat quarter to make the inside front and back pieces.
- For the sides and base of the bag (both inside and outside) take a third fat quarter and cut 2 pieces 6x27cm (2 base pieces) and 4 pieces 6x36cm (4 side pieces).
- Take the outside front piece and place one of the side pieces down the right hand side (right sides together). Sew to secure leaving a 1cm gap from the bottom. Repeat on the other side with another side piece.
- Take the outside back piece and sew to the other side of the side pieces attached to the outside front piece, leaving a 1cm gap from the bottom.
- Sew on the bottom piece, placing right sides together with the base of the joined front and back pieces.
- Repeat steps 1-6 with the inside fabric and remaining side/base pieces. Turn out the joined outside of the bag so the right side is facing outwards, but leave the joined inside of the bag unturned so the right side is facing inwards.
- Make the handles by cutting 2 pieces of fabric 5x54cm from the remaining outside and inside fabric (4 pieces in total). Take one piece in each fabric design, place right sides together and sew down the 2 long edges. Turn out the right way and repeat with the remaining 2 pieces.
- Take one of the handles and place on the outside front piece with the raw edges of the handle against the raw edge of the bag. Repeat with the second handle on the outside back piece.
- Place the outside of the bag (with attached handles) inside the inside of the bag, sew around the top edge leaving a 6cm gap for turning.
- Turn out the right way and stitch the gap closed.
Adding the bow detail:
- Cut 12 pieces of fabric 6cmx16cm from the remaining fat quarters.
- Take 6 of the pieces and sew together to join on their short ends. Repeat with the remaining 3 pieces.
- Place the two strips right sides together and sew down the 2 long edges and long one of the short edges to secure. Turn out the right way, and sew the end closed.
- Tie the long fabric strip onto one of the handles to create the bow.