I often get asked how to make a Pom Pom when you don’t have a Pom Pom maker, or if you don’t have a Pom Pom maker for the size you are wanting so I have put together a how to make pom poms in any size.
How to: Make a pom pom
- Wool in your chosen colour(s).
- Compass/something circular that is the size pom pom you are wanting, and a smaller circular item to draw a smaller circle.
- Darning needle.
Step 1: Making the cardboard circles.
- If using your compass: set it to span half the diameter of the circle you are wanting, then draw 2 circles onto the cardboard. Next make the span of the compass smaller and draw a smaller circle in the middle of the larger circle.
- If using a circular object, draw around this object to get your circle, then draw around the smaller object for the middle circle.
- Cut out the two circles and then cut out the smaller middle circle.
- Stack the two circles together.
Step 2: Wrapping the wool.
- Using your chosen wool colour: cut a long strand of wool and thread it onto the darning needle, hold the tail end of the wool and wrap the wool around the card board template.
- Continue to wrap the wool all the way around the cardboard circle – using the darning needle will make it easier towards the end when the middle circle starts to fill up. If you run out of wool, cut another strand and continue, holding the tail of the wool and wrapping around the cardboard.
- Keep wrapping the wool around until the circle is completely covered and the middle smaller circle is full of wool.
Step 3: Cutting the wool.
- Cut around the edge of the circle, lining the scissors up in the gap between the two pieces of cardboard.
Step 4: Securing the wool.
- Cut a piece of wool 20cm long and tie it around the middle of the pom pom in between the two cardboard circles. Tie a knot to secure it, then cut the longer length so it is the same length as the wool in the pom pom.
- Remove the 2 cardboard circles (you may need to cut them off).
- You can make a multicoloured pom pom just by using different wool colours while wrapping the wool around.
- You can make pumpkin themed pom poms by wrapping green wool only around the top middle section of the cardboard circle, and wrapping orange wool around the rest of the circle.
- If you want to display some pom poms you can make a ew in different sizes, attach them to fabric and display them in an embroidery hoop.