Time is flying by and it wont be long until Halloween is here, with that in mind it was time I got cracking and finished off some halloween makes!.
I have been needing some new halloween bunting so set about making some Halloween themed bunting. When it comes to Halloween I think a traditional pumpkin takes quite a bit of beating, so it was time to make some pumpkin themed bunting.
I used the same pumpkin shape throughout the bunting but opted to alternate between orange pumpkins with faces and some patterned fabric pumpkins. I had thought to do different faces on the pumpkins but after a play with some different layouts I opted to stick with just the same eye details on each of the pumpkins.
Fabric was gifted by The Craft Cotton Company.
Fabric Pumpkin Bunting Tutorial:
Fabric is by The Craft Cotton Company.
- Orange fabric.
- Patterned fabric.
- Green felt.
- Black felt.
- Ribbon or binding for attaching the pumpkin bunting.
Fabric Pumpkin Bunting Tutorial – To make the bunting:
- Make a paper template in the shape of a pumpkin.
- Using this template cut out the fabric for your pumpkins leaving a 0.5cm seam allowance around the template. Each pumpkin requires two pieces of fabric, with two pieces of orange fabric for the orange pumpkins and two pieces of patterned fabric for the patterned pumpkins.
- Using the green felt cut out the stem detail using the stem part on the paper template and sew onto the orange fabric – you only need to add the details to the pumpkin front pieces.
- Using the black felt cut out face details for the orange pumpkins and sew onto the orange fabric – you only need to add the details to the pumpkin front pieces.
- Take two of the pumpkin pieces (front and a back piece) and place right sides together, sew around the edge leaving a 4cm gap for turning.
- Turn out the right way and sew to secure. Repeat with the remaining pumpkin pieces.
- Once you have all your pumpkins made you can attach them to your ribbon by placing the pumpkin stem onto the ribbon and sewing along the top edge to secure.
- You can also use fabric binding for the bunting: You could make your own using joined 6cm wide strips of fabric and folding in the side edge by 1cm, press, then fold in the top and bottom edge so they meet in the middle, press, then fold again and press.