This Solar System themed embroidery hoop makes the perfect decoration for a space themed room and would be a great gift for any space fans out there.
I received the Outer Space fat quarters set by The Craft Cotton Company and soon as I saw it I knew it would be perfect for some sort of wall decoration, I have already made a space themed wall hanging previously so decided to do something a little bit different and make an embroidery hoop decoration with a solar system pattern.
I opted to use the star pattern fat quarter from the fat quarter pack but it was a tough choice as the quarters with planet details one would also look good – might have to make another one using that at some point!
Fabrics gifted by The Craft Cotton Company.
This would also make a great cushion, you could make a round one or a square. If making a square one – instead of sewing the planet names around in a circle you could sew them around the square edge.
Solar System Embroidery Hoop:
- Felt – in various colours for the planets/sun.
- Felt – to form a backing piece for the hoop.
- Embroidery hoop.
- Fabric for the background – I used the star detailed fat quarter from the Outer Space fat quarter set by The Craft Cotton Company.
- Ribbon to create loop at top of the hoop.
- Cut out 8 planets from the different felt colours, and one large semi circle for the sun.
- Choose a fat quarter from the set and place into the embroidery hoop.
- Sew on the sun and planets.
- Sew on details to the planets.
- Using French Knots add in an asteroid belt.
- Sew the names of each of the planets around the edge of the hoop.
- Leaving a 5cm gap cut around the edge of the hoop.
- Sew around the edge then pull to close the fabric around the back of the hoop.
- Cut a circle of felt to cover the back of the hoop, then sew to secure.
- Create a loop at the top of the hoop using thread/ribbon.