I had a gift ready to be gifted and had it mind to make a fabric drawstring bag to pop it in before gifting, but then the problems started….. I forgot about the making part until the day before I needed to pass the gift over!
Slight panic stations occurred and I rapidly looked through my fabric stash to see if I had anything suitable. I’ve been on a bit of a fabric scraps use up mission lately so wanted to try and keep this going and luckily I had some fabric pieces that were perfect.
This fabric was from the Craft Cotton Company’s London Town fat quarter set which was gifted by The Craft Cotton Company.
Tutorial to make the bag
- For the front and back of the bag you will need two pieces of fabric that measure 26x30cm. They can be made up from patchwork pieces or be a single piece.
- For the top drawstring parts of the bag you need two pieces of fabric 28×10. This gives you a front and back piece.
- Take the two top drawstring parts of the bag and fold in the edges by 1cm and then fold in half (wrong sides together) so you have two pieces 26x5cm.
- Take one of the top drawstring parts of the bag and the front piece of the bag and place right sides together with the top raw edge of the front piece and the bottom raw edge of the drawstring part aligned. Sew along the top edge to secure.
- Take the front and back piece and place right sides together, sew down both the sides starting 3cm from the top edge and sewing diagonally inwards for 1cm and then down the rest of the side. Sew along the bottom edge. Turn out the right way.
- Take a piece of ribbon 50cm long and thread through the top drawstring part of the bag, tie the two ends together to secure.