Ribbit, ribbit…

One of my friend’s little ones absolutely loves frogs (especially the five little speckled frog song) and as soon as I saw this pattern I knew I had to make it for him. This pattern was again from ‘Crocheted Wild Animals’ by Vanessa Mooncie. I used two different shades of green to achieve a good contrast and the pattern was very simple and easy to follow. Compared to the pattern in the book, I changed the colour scheme slightly. Rather than only using a different colour for the underbelly of the frog, I decided to continue this colour to halfway down the legs, as I like how it looked with more of the lighter green.

IMG_4060

I chose to use a 4mm hook and quite chunky wool so it ended up slightly bigger than what was shown in the book, which suggested a 3mm hook. I wanted it to big, as the bigger and chunkier the better for little ones for cuddling into.

I can’t stop smiling at this make, it is just so cute, and I know it is going to make someone’s day when they open it!

A loooong Snake make… that could have been much longer!

During the summer holidays we visited a zoo with some family and during the visit one of the youngsters in our group got to do something they had wanted to do for a long time… hold a real live snake! They were over the moon with this so I had the idea to make them a snake for Christmas.

IMG_3896 

Again the pattern is from the book ‘Crocheted Wild Animals’ by Vanessa Mooncie (I really do like this book!). For the colours I choose a yellow brown, creamy beige and blue for this (blue is their favourite colour). To get the snakeskin effect, on some rows the dc stitches are worked into stitches 1, 2 and then 3 rows down. This gave half of a diamond effect that was completed by doing the same using a different colour over the next few rows. It took a few rounds and goes at this to really get the hang of it, but once I had done, I was off and it came together really quickly. One thing to make sure you don’t forget… keep stuffing the snake as you go along! This is mentioned in the book but once engrossed in completing the rounds, I, at times, forgot to remember this. It then makes getting the stuffing down and evenly distributed into the body much more difficult

I didn’t want the snake to be too long so reduced the amount of rounds I did. The pattern is 1.6m long but I completed it at around 1 m long.

I did the inside of the mouth in the same blue that I used on the body and used the creamy beige for the tongue. I didn’t use beads for the eyes as didn’t want them coming loose whilst being played with.

Very very happy,  meet Sidney the Snake…

IMG_3895