I thought I was pretty much on top of all the Christmas makes I have left this year, that is until I saw a unicorn uploaded by Toft on Instagram and I suddenly realised I had overlooked a make on my list – a unicorn for a friends little girl.
Sheer panic started to develop as I didn’t know if I had enough time to make it for passing presents over his weekend. Luckily I had already bought the wool and put it to one side so I could get started straight away and the pattern was from one of my favourite crochet books – Edwards’s menagerie by Kerry Lord. The unicorn is put together using the pattern for the horse with a horn from the highland cow for the unicorn horn – I saw this modification online a while back on their website (http://edwardsmenagerie.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/chardonnay-mythical-cousin-chablis.html?m=1) and knew it would be perfect for what I was wanting to make.
After some frantic hours of crocheting I finished this little cutie late on Friday – just in time to get pictures and wrap early on Saturday before it went off to go under my friends tree….phew!
Hopefully I have no more makes that have been forgotten about…….
I saw this pattern in Simply Crochet magazine issue 18. This was quite a while ago and as a result it has been on my to do list for a long time – too long! Unfortunately I have had too many other makes that have sneaked ahead of it, but not anymore, now it is time to make this very cute little amigurumi cuddly toy!
I know the general consensus for the colour of a unicorn is white, but as I was rummaging through my wool to find my white I came across this speckled pink that I love and I just had to use it, who says a unicorn cannot be pink? I always think of unikitty from the Lego movie when I think of unicorns and she is both pink and white! I picked a light orange for the horn, and for the hail and tail chose: red, dark blue, cream, yellow, and bright green.
I got this made up over two evenings, I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly it came together.
This was even after I had made a mistake by sewing an arm too far round the back of the body and managing to cut through the body rather than the thread that was attaching the arm to the body when trying to remove it to attach into the right place, so I had to remake the body! I was very annoyed at myself after that but cheered up slightly by the fact it hadn’t taken me too long to get back on track – if it had been the head I had to redo it may have been a different story!
So so cute!! My only concern is with my choice of wool colour, I love the colour but am starting to wonder now I’ve been looking at it for a while whether it looks ok or if it actually looks like a Unicorn piggy with long hair! Although let’s be honest a unicorn pig with long hair would be pretty interesting to see, and there’s a unikitty so why not a unipiggy!
I think I may make a few more of these in different colours!