The number of grannies is growing!

I am still slowly plodding on in my mission to catch up with the 1 a week granny square pattern from Simply Crochet, and have managed to rustle up a couple more! Welcome to the pack – First Granny, Granny Thelma, and Granny Joyce.

IMG_3629

The finished pile is gradually increasing, only 22 to go until I have caught up! Luckily, I am really enjoying making them!

I have set myself a challenge….

Every week for the last few months I have been downloading a free granny square pattern through the granny square app by Simply Crochet. I think they are brilliant – I cannot believe the variation you can get from just a granny square! I like them so much I have been thinking of something I could do using them, I have finally decided (after 28 patterns and counting) to make them all and join them up into one big quilt.

IMG_3627

 

I am going to aim to make the one granny square each week when I download the pattern, however, the downside is that I have quite a bit of catching up to do before I can get to doing this (only 28!!). I have just managed to get started and so far have made 3 of them: Granny Edna, Granny Pat, and Granny Doreen. I think they look great! I haven’t stuck to a colour scheme I am just going to make them with whatever wool leftovers I have.   I am going to make them all first and then set about joining them together as then I can lay them all out and decide the best layout for them before attaching together. I will put up the next ones as soon as I get them finished, 3 down and a long way to go…

They were supposed to have 6 petals, I have no idea where one went…

IMG_3574

As I have mentioned previously, this year is quickly becoming the year of the coasters and I have just put together yet another set for a gift (think we’re up to at least set 7 by now!). I saw a motif pattern for a flower I really liked – again from Simply Crochet Issue 22. In the magazine they used different shades of green to create a really nice flower within a shaped surround.

I had some leftover flecked wool which I really liked and I matched two of the colours out of the fleck to use and off I went. I made all 6 of the middle parts of the coasters (the flower part) first with the flecked wool. However, it was only once I had made these that I realised I may haven been a bit too keen with cracking on with them, and clearly hadn’t read the first part of the pattern properly – the flower was meant to have 6 petals, mine all had only 5! I have no idea how I managed to miss a petal off from all of them, but I still liked the look of the flower so decided to carry on with them with just the 5 petals and hoped they would still look good at the end!

Once I had completed the final few rounds I was really happy that I had carried on, as although different to the original pattern, I still think they look really good. I’m really pleased with how the colours have gone together and I hope the recipient is as happy with them as I was!

P.S. If completed using the six petals, they can be joined together to make a larger mat.