Button overload with the christmas presents makes this year! Just a few button cushions….

Each year I tend to follow a theme for my Christmas present makes, from crochet coasters, embroidered cushions and patchwork quilts

IMG_2165This year after realising I could no longer ignore the bursting state of my button box I decided to tackle the issue by making some button themed cushion covers for christmas gifts.   the only downside to this brilliant idea I had was this I slightly underestimated how many buttons I would need and despite having enough buttons to fill a small room I ran out of the colours I was needing so  had to go and buy more to finish them all off…..typical! So now despite making a slight dent in the button mountain I have added some more back in from the leftovers I had after finishing the cushions!

The 3 pictured here were just the beginning…..

To make these cushions I used fabric quarter sets by The Craft Cotton Company in Ombre Trends (green, pink, and blue) and Gold Metallic. I used one fat quarter piece to make the front cushion piece and two more of the fat quarters folded in half to make the two back pieces of the envelope cushion.  Then I sewed my button detail onto the front by drawing the star or heart outline onto a piece of paper and pinning this to the middle of the fabric. I then sewed on the buttons within the outline.  Once I had filled in the outlined area I tore off the paper, which left the buttons behind.

I then placed the button front right side up and placed the two folded fat quarters slightly overlapped on top of this, trimmed any excess then sewed around the edges.  Next I turned the pillow the right way around and sewed a binding around the edge of the pillow which I made from strips of the ombre trends fabric, first sewing the binding around the front placing the raw edge of the binding against the edge of the pillow,  the binding was then folded around to the back and sewed to secure.

IMG_2170IMG_2162IMG_2163IMG_2161

Bringing in some magic this Christmas is a very majestic Crochet unicorn 

I thought I was pretty much on top of all the Christmas makes I have left this year, that is until I saw a unicorn uploaded by Toft on Instagram and I suddenly realised I had overlooked a make on my list – a unicorn for a friends little girl. 

Sheer panic started to develop as I didn’t know if I had enough time to make it for passing presents over his weekend. Luckily I had already bought the wool and put it to one side so I could get started straight away and the pattern was from one of my favourite crochet books – Edwards’s menagerie by Kerry Lord. The unicorn is put together using the pattern for the horse with a horn from the highland cow for the unicorn horn – I saw this modification online a while back on their website (http://edwardsmenagerie.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/chardonnay-mythical-cousin-chablis.html?m=1) and knew it would be perfect for what I was wanting to make. 
After some frantic hours of crocheting I finished this little cutie late on Friday – just in time to get pictures and wrap early on Saturday before it went off to go under my friends tree….phew! 
Hopefully I have no more makes that have been forgotten about…….

I have a feeling my colour choice may have altered the final appearance of what was meant to be a cute crochet unicorn…..I think I have inadvertently created a unicorn pig!

I saw this pattern in Simply Crochet magazine issue 18.  This was quite a while ago and as a result it has been on my to do list for a long time – too long! Unfortunately I have had too many other makes that have sneaked ahead of it, but not anymore, now it is time to make this very cute little amigurumi cuddly toy! 

I know the general consensus for the colour of a unicorn is white, but as I was rummaging through my wool to find my white I came across this speckled pink that I love and I just had to use it, who says a unicorn cannot be pink? I always think of unikitty from the Lego movie when I think of unicorns and she is both pink  and white!  I picked a light orange for the horn, and for the hail and tail chose: red, dark blue, cream, yellow, and bright green. 
I got this made up over two evenings, I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly it came together.  


  

This was even after I had made a mistake by sewing an arm too far round the back of the body and managing to cut through the body rather than the thread that was attaching the arm to the body when trying to remove it to attach into the right place, so I had to remake the body! I was very annoyed at myself after that but cheered up slightly by the fact it hadn’t taken me too long to get back on track – if it had been the head I had to redo it may have been a different story! 

So so cute!! My only concern is with my choice of wool colour, I love the colour but am starting to wonder now I’ve been looking at it for a while whether it looks ok or if it actually looks like a Unicorn piggy with long hair!  Although let’s be honest a unicorn pig with long hair would be pretty interesting to see, and there’s a unikitty so why not a unipiggy! 
I think I may make a few more of these in different colours! 

Flying gracefully into the made box are some pink and pretty butterfly cards

In the July 2014 docrafts goody bag as well as the botanicals range I used previously were also some other items from the docrafts Papermania Capsule collection wild rose and Tilly Daydream range. 
From these I used;
– Capsule Collection 12″x12″ paper pack in wild rose 
– Capsule Collection big bloomers in wild rose
– Capsule Collection polka dot buttons in wild rose
– Tilly Daydream ric rac in natural 
Butterfly punch used;
– Super lever butterfly punch by Woodware (punched butterfly is: 5cm/2″ in size) 
I love the 3D effect of these cards with the butterflies coming out – I only stuck the middle body section of the butterfly to the card so that the wings would flap outwards.