Slowly making progress on the Christmas makes – next up a Embroidered flower embroidery hoop.

Now I have got my sewing Christmas makes (Trees, Stockings) out of the way I have been able to focus on finishing some of the embroidery makes I have been working on over the last few months. First one completed is a embroidered flowers embroidery hoop.  The pattern is one I put together using a pattern from Crossstitcher magazine (April 2018).  The original pattern was too big to fit in the hoop I was using so I used bits from the pattern to fill the hoop.

IMG_3699IMG_3704IMG_3711IMG_3712

I covered the hoop with fabric by sewing strips of 4cm wide fabric together and folding the raw edges inwards, I then wrapped this around the hoop.  I created a loop using 2 strips of 20x4cm wide fabric (place pieces right sides together, sew around leaving top edge unsewn, turn out the right way and slip stitch the gap closed).

A year in stitches weeks 9-12

I’ve quite surprised myself so far with this year in stitches project, I thought I would have been way behind by now but I’ve actually managed to keep up with it – only just I must add, and we will see how long this lasts!

It’s great to watch the space filling in with all these different additions, and it’s been a great way to try out some new stitches some I look forward to trying again, others I will be avoiding at all costs!

Week 9 saw the completion of the ladybird and bee (finally managed to get some black thread) and a little nest was started.

Week 10 began with finishing the nest and adding some eggs and the start of some daffodils.

Week 11 was meant to see the completion of the daffodils but I got sidetracked with doing some other flowers!

Week 12 the daffodils finally got finished and I started on some tulips alongside them.

Still got quite a few flower ideas to go so am looking forward to the next few weeks!

A year in stitches week 7 to 8!

Following on from week 6 in week 7 I added in some snowdrops and a little more snowflake detail. After seeing all the snowdrops starting to come out I just had to add some in!

Week 8 has seen the addition of some crocus flowers and the start of a bee and ladybird – realised after starting them I had run out of black thread (typical!) so they will have to wait to be finished for now!

Week 6 of a year in stitches

Week 6 of a year in stitches has seen the addition of a few more little details including a pine cone, acorn and a bit more leaf detail. I’ve also added in a little bit more detail to the rain.

Think I might try and focus a big on the wintery section over the next week.

Week 5 of a year of stitches

Week 5 already!

It’s been rainy and windy this week so I’ve added in some more rain and some wind, snow is meant to be on its way so think more snow will be appearing by next week!

Year of stitches week 3!

It’s that time of the week again for an update on how my year in stitches is going. The weeks seem to be flying by as it doesn’t seem two minutes since I uploaded last weeks!

Over the last week I have been working on some more flowers in the summer section and have started to move onto the next section with some autumn rain drops. There’s been a bit of snow around these last few days which has given me an idea of what I will be doing over the next week!

Week two of a year of stitches

I’ve decided to do a weekly update of my year in stitches as I don’t think I could keep up with a daily one – hopefully I manage to keep up with this, it may become a monthly update as the year goes on!

This week I have added another 7 stitch details to my hoop, including some dragonflies and infilled the flower petals. The stitch for the dragonflies proved a little bit trickier than I thought but I managed to get there after a few attempts. I have a feeling this hoop is going to become seasonal – despite no planning I have already got summer underway and have plans for a winter section too!

Im really happy with how the hoop is coming along so far and am looking forward to seeing it grow over the coming weeks.

Buzzing in to brighten up the dark cold days is an embroidered bee hoop

I’ve really enjoyed making the fox and owl embroidery hoops recently and after receiving one of The Craft Cotton Company sewing bee fat quarter sets (white) I knew it would be perfect for making another.

I opted to use the grey fat quarter as I thought it would provide the best background and drew up a design to embroider. The full tutorial is available on The Craft Cotton Company’s blog:

https://www.craftcottonblog.co.uk

Time for another embroidered hoop, off with the birds this time with an owl

Since completing my fox embroidery hoop Ive been working on another, this time an owl.  This had more embroidered details on it than the fox due to the front feathered chest section so took me a little longer to put together but am super happy with how it has turned out.

IMG_2288

To make the hoop I drew out the owl outline on paper, then traced this onto the fabric background.  I then went around the outlines in a backstitch and infilled the outlines using different embroidered patterns.

 

To frame it in the hoop I made sure it was centralised and really tightened the hoop so it wouldn’t move at all once it was put together.  Then I cut the fabric around the hoop 4cm from the edge of the hoop.  After completing a round of stitching 1cm from the edge of the fabric I pulled the thread tight to pull in the edges of the fabric and completed a few stitches to secure.

IMG_2291IMG_2292

A round piece of felt could then be sewn onto the back to hide the gathered back.

IMG_2294IMG_2295

For hanging I used two  pieces of different coloured ribbon (30 cm) and attached a loop through the hoop fastening along with a bow in the same two ribbon colours (55 cm).

 

IMG_2296IMG_2297

 

IMG_2304