Want a cushion cover that’s slightly different – give these button heart cushions a go.
These cushions are great for using up buttons – rather than using all one colour you could opt for a multicoloured effect if you don’t have enough of one colour. They are also great for using up leftover fat quarters, the ones I have used are all from different fat quarter sets.
Fabric was gifted by The Craft Cotton Company.
How To Make A Button Design Heart Cushion
- Buttons in your chosen colour.
- Fat quarter set – I used 1 quarter for the front and 2 folded in half to make the back. I made strips of binding for the edging out of 2 more fat quarters.
- I used fabric fat quarter from different sets by The Craft Cotton Company in Ombre Trends (green, pink, and blue).
How to sew the button star and heart cushions:
- Draw out your heart shape onto a piece of paper.
- Pin the paper to the fat quarter you are using for the front of the cushion.
- Sew on the buttons within the shape outline.
- Once you have filled the outline tear away all the paper.
- Place the button front right side up and place the two folded fat quarters slightly overlapped on top of this, trim any excess and around the edges.
- Turn the pillow the right way.
- Make a binding from 8cm wide strips of fabric, fold the binding in half so you have a long strip 4cm wide and place the raw edges of the binding against the edge of the pillow, sew around to secure.
- Fold the binding around to the back and slip stitch to secure.