I saw this pattern in Love patchwork and Quilting magazine issue 20 and really wanted to make it as a gift this year, however, I was really nervous to get started on it as it looked like it would be quite complicated to make.
However, the time came when I could no longer put it off and had to face my fears. I couldn’t believe it when I got started – it really wasn’t as bad to make as I had thought it would be! I didn’t encounter any major problems with it at all, it ended up being really great to make.
I did change the pattern slightly and used individual arrows throughout rather than the long strips at the top in the plain fabric, as a result I also made my own template and cut the arrows out individually, rather than the method they used. I also didn’t add the different coloured fabric strips onto the tops of the arrows. For the fabric I opted to use patterned fabric for inbetween the arrows rather than just the white used in the magazine.
I also used a slightly thicker batting than I normally use as I wanted it to be a bit thicker, but this did make it a bit more difficult for quilting but I got their eventually with it. The worst part was the choice of backing fabric I used, I knew when I bought it it might put up a bit of a fight and it certainly did, with it being slightly silky it was slipping about with all the other layers no matter how many pins or tacking stitches I put in. But I got there eventually with it and never again will I pick a fabric like that for backing, especially when using thicker batting as that just added to the problems!