I have thought about doing a Pom Pom Halloween pumpkin for a while now and this year I have finally got around to making one. I wasn’t too sure how well it would turn out but thought I should at least give it a go and see how it went! I must admit I was quite surprised with how well it came out – although I think the next one I do will be a bit bigger, I think it will look even better in a bigger size. This little guy will look great mixed in with a few bigger ones! What I love about this is you could put whatever face and eye detail on you like making each one completely different.
Pom Pom Halloween pumpkin
- Orange wool.
- Green wool.
- Black wool.
- Black felt.
- White felt.
Making the Pom pom:
- Cut out two cardboard circles, I drew around a juice bottle to get the size I wanted, then I drew around a 2p coin in the middle of the bigger cardboard circle and cut it out. The bigger the pumpkin you want – the bigger you should make the size of the cardboard circles. Place these two cardboard circles on top of each other.
- Next cut a long length of wool in orange. Hold on to the loose end on the cardboard circle then wrap the wool around the cardboard.
- Once you have first few rounds completed and the two cardboard circles are not going to move you can actually wrap around a few threads together at the same time to speed up the making a little bit, I did this with three threads together.
- Continue this process until the circle in the centre of the cardboard is completely filled, towards the end you might find you need to thread the wool onto a needle to get it to go through. You want to make sure this centre is tightly filled otherwise it will easily fall apart.
- Next take 8 30cm lengths of green wool and wrap around the centre of the Pom Pom strands between the two pieces of cardboard making sure it is tied tightly – this is what holds the Pom Pom together.
- Now cut the threads – making sure they are longer than the Orange wool (by about 2cm) as these make up the stalk.
- Next remove the cardboard and there’s your Pom Pom!
Eyes – Make 2
- Cut out small white circles in felt for the eyes, then using black wool sew the felt into the Pom Pom making the centre pupil of the eye at the same time. To do this tie a knot into one end of the black wool, thread the other onto the needle and pull through from the back to the front, then sew back to the back and sew into the centre of the Pom Pom and then back out into the eye to secure it to the pumpkin.
- Now the felt eye is fixed, sew from front to back on the white felt a few times to make the pupil. Fasten off and repeat for the other eye.
In black felt cut out a mouth into the style you want, and sew onto the Pom Pom using black wool.