After finishing the main part of my crochet Pom Pom blanket using a wavy stitch, I was undecided on what to do for the border. I had a few ideas in mind ranging from a basic dc stitch around in different coloured rows, a fan effect around using trebles, or waves around. However after seeing the crocodile stitch in Simply Crochet magazine issue 26 I knew this was the one to go for, as it is a bit different and a perfect match to the slightly crazy Pom Pom blanket!
Also I have never tried this stitch before and I love to try something new. It did take a while to get the hang of, especially as I had to change it slightly from the pattern to get what I wanted with the stitch so that it would point outwards from the blanket rather than inward to the blanket. I did wonder why I decided to pick something I hadn’t done before and it has taken me a while but it was definitely worth the trouble as it really finishes the blanket off and gives a bit of texture around the edges, and now I have a new stitch in my inventory! I already have another project in mind using it! I did a row of dc stitches around the edge first in pink ready for the border to go on to. I then used an orangy colour for the first set of crocodile stitches around.
To get the crocodile stitch to go around like it has;
I competed row 1 of the pattern the whole way around around the blanket to make the v posts;
Ch4, trb into stitch at base of ch, *skip 2 stitches, trb1, ch1, trb1 into next stitch (this created the first v group), repeat from *the whole way around. This them created the v group posts for the crocodile stitch to go into.
As I then wanted the stitch to point outward I fastened off after row 1, then reattached the same colour wool at the base of a treble post from row 1;
ch3, then I completed 4 trb up to the top of the post, ch1, then 5trb down the next post in the v, rather than the pattern which went down the first post then up the next. Then the same as the pattern I *skipped the next v post and Then at the next v stitch I started at the base, 5trb up to top then 5trb back down the next post. Then I repeated from * the whole way around the blanket.
~ Trebles going down the next side of the v post
Next I repeated row 1 and 2 again in the next colour and fastened off. Making sure that for the row after creating the v posts that I put the trebles up and down the v posts in the gap made between the crocodile stitches on row 2, so that they were not directly behind the previous crocodile stitch but in the next v post along.
I did one round in orange and one round in the pink from the blanket, I didn’t do any more as I thought it would make the border too heavy.
I can’t believe I am at the end of this project – it is the biggest crochet project I have undertaken, and it has taken me a while to get through but it has been worth it, I absolutely love this blanket it is just what I wanted. Perfectly snugly for all this cold weather, I think I am going to hibernate in it for a while!
I am really pleased I have managed to get two big projects finished of my list in the last week – this pom Pom blanket and the granny square blanket, however, there are plenty of new projects lining up to fill their space!