Alongside completing my crochet projects for Christmas, I’ve also had a few cross-stitch projects on the go! I have been making a few cross-stitch pictures that I wanted to use to create a pillow. Finally, I have managed to get two of them finished – I didn’t think I was going to get there, but luckily, with a bit of time to spare, I managed to.
Make 1: Butterfly cross-stitch
I have made this pattern previously and really enjoyed doing it – I really like the butterfly detail, and it looks really effective despite only using crosses and some backstitching. This time I have changed the colours from those specified in the pattern so that there were some more greens and blues in it so as to match my friend’s lounge décor (she’s the recipient of the gift). The pattern is from the World of Cross-Stitching magazine issue 201 and I completed it on evenweave fabric.
Make 2: lavender cross stitch
This is a great cross-stitch pattern, as aside from looking really good, it is surprisingly quick to put together. Instead of using French knots on the pattern I substituted them for small purple beads as I think it gives a much better effect. This pattern was from Cross-Stitcher magazine issue 229 and again this was completed on evenweave fabric.
Once the two cross-stitch patterns were done, I made them into pillows. The two fabrics I used are both from Laura Ashley and found both in the offcuts basket. They often have some great pieces of fabric in there; it just takes a bit of rummaging around and there are all sorts of great pieces to be found! To put the cushions together I first machine sewed strips of fabric around the four sides of the pattern to act as a frame.
I then used two large pieces for the back so it would make a flap opening, as I didn’t want to have a zip fastening. Once I had all these pieces (the cross stitch picture with fabric side pieces attached, and the two back pieces), I laid them out with right sides facing and machine sewed around all four sides. Next I turned the pillow to the right side by pulling it back through the flap at the back and then inserted the pad.
I am really pleased with how these have turned out – and even happier that I managed to get them both finished in time! I now just have one more to finish cross stitching which I can then make into a pillow – I think it may be a close call to get it finished!